Koinonia Community started Kivuli Centre in 1997 to cater for the needs of vulnerable boy child with a deep concern of children on the streets and youths around Kawangware, Riruta and the entire Nairobi and its environs. Kivuli Centre is a project that involves the whole community promoting the welfare of the children, young people and the community at large.
Kivuli centre is located in Nairobi Dagoretti south constituency, Riruta along Kabiria Rd.
Programs in Kivuli Centre
1. Kivuli boys’ children’s home
The center is a host to about 50 boys aged between 7 years to 17 years who are receiving comprehensive care under a 3 year rehabilitation plan using the 3R care plan model. While in Kivuli the boys attend formal education under Kenyan curriculum, talent development programs & life skills training.
The centre is also supporting about 30 youths in secondary and technical education in its outreach program.
2. Kivuli youth programs
Kivuli is host to different youth workshops. In this workshops, the youth train and run small social enterprises. The workshops include; Carpentry, Batiks, Carving, waste recycling and music & recording studio.
ii. Tertiary training
The center also has tertiary training schools for youth. They include Andrew’s computer school, Kivuli tailoring school and Kivuli language school.
iii. Sports & Art
The centre has come up with facilities for sports and art in order to support the youth in developing their talents, currently Kivuli has youths engaging in the following sports and art activities; football (yassets football team), Kivuli basketball team, Kivuli boxing team and Kivuli acrobats team.
3. Other Programs within Kivuli centre
Within the centre, also you will find other programs like;
I. Kivuli Dispensary– a medical facility serving the community in terms of health care.
II. Mtaani Radio– it’s a community based radio station broadcasting within a 5 km radius in Dagoretti. The station focuses on issues and matters within Dagoretti as well as national and international affairs. It also runs programs designed for youth and women.
Other organizations hosted in Kivuli Centre
Kivuli centre is also host to other like-minded organizations. These are;
1. Danish Refugee Council– working with refugees’ community
2. Xavier Project– Running a computer lab (Tamuka hub) training refuges
3. Gear Box– Running a fab lab that focuses on training the youth in technology
4. Global Minimum– working with local secondary schools in training students technology skills.
5. Biogen Diesel Kenya Ltd– collaborating with Kivuli biodiesel in production of engine diesel from waste cooking oil.
6. Ambalian co – a green energy company specializing in solar power and other renewable energy products.