Anita Home was born in the year 1999 from the desire of Giulio Bianchi and from his involvement with Amani-Italy and Fr. Kizito the founder of Koinonia Community. Anita Home is one of the Koinonia homes that targets to rehabilitate the girl child from the street and vulnerable situation e.g. early marriage and Female Genital Mutilation (FGM). Most of the girls are recruited from Nairobi and Kajiado counties. Anita Home provides education, shelter, food, medical care, spiritual nourishment, psycho-social support and talent development.
Life in Anita Home is structured as a typical African family where the girls enjoys the warmth of the family life and as the African proverbs says,” The child belongs to the community”
Enlightened and responsible girls living in a secure, peaceful and serene environment
Anita Home is a program of Koinonia Community established as a sign of hope for the girls in difficult situations especially those on the streets. We believe in upholding girl child rights, promoting their dignity through providing education, love, protection, care and follow up in atmosphere of peace and serenity. We are committed in to work closely with the community by active involvement in the rehabilitation and reintegration of the girl child to become enlightened and responsible persons in the society.
- To rescue street girls for them to experience the power of love in Christ
- To lobby and advocate for the rights of the girl child
- To empower girls with knowledge and skills to be self-reliant
- To provide education, food, shelter and protection of their basic needs
- To enhance the spiritual life and emotional needs are catered for through frequent guidance and counseling
- To rehabilitate and reintegrate the girls back into stable families
Anita Home has managed to empower over 100 girls in vulnerable situations since it opened its doors in 1999. Most of them have managed to attain secondary education and technical institutions. Some were empowered with tailoring and designs skills which enabled them to earn a living. The Home has managed to reunite girls with their families and was living happily.
ACTIVITIES TAKEN AT THE PROJECT
- Provide accommodation and all the basic needs required by the girls in order to live a normal life.
- School visits and remedial classes to ensure girls attain good grades
- Rehabilitation through education, life skills programs, guidance and counseling sessions, spiritual support.
- Talent development where by the girls are nurtured on their different God given talents eg acrobatic, dancing, circus, football and volleyball
- Family empowerment through home visits and workshop/trainings
- Reintegration programs
- Networking with likeminded organizations
- To increase the number of beneficiaries both in and out reach in order to support as many girls as possible
- To source for likeminded organizations to help in the family empowerment program especially on social economic in order for them to be self-reliant.
- To reduce the period of the girls staying at the Home since their home is the best place to bring up the children as it has been proven by the government and other stakeholders.
- To be forefront in empowering the community on girls rights.