Paolo’s Home, which is an initiative of Koinonia community has continuously increased its capability and capacity to rehabilitate children living with disabilities in Kibera slums. The project that was initiated in 2007 to offer free physiotherapy services to children living with disabilities in Kibera slums has since grown to a capacity of reaching beneficiaries with other services like; occupational therapy, speech therapy, nutrition program, daycare program, economic empowerment program, psychosocial support and counseling services, support for specialized medical attention, educational support, caregiver workshops and community sensitization and awareness campaigns. As years have progressed, the nature, degree and types of conditions related to disability and challenges facing these children and their families have continued to change and get complicated hence the need to upgrade in terms of the nature, quality and diversity of services offered by Paolo’s home. All these services aim at improving the quality of life of a child with disability in the slum and promoting protection of their rights.
In its mission of serving the children, Paolo’s home seeks to improve on the quality of its services with the involvement of relevant stakeholders at different levels.
Paolo’s Home does target children who meet the following criteria:
- be between 0-16 years of age
- Have a special need/disabilityand can benefit from the main services offered at the Centre (physio and occupation therapy, special education needs (day care program)..
- Should be a resident of Kibera or its environs
Intake/ Selection criteria
- Most clients admitted at Paolo’s home are referred by networking partners or other individuals
- The social worker also identifies other potential clients that can benefit from services at Paolo’s Home
- The entry point is through the therapy department whereby initial assessment is done to determine diagnosis of child’s condition and formulate a treatment plan.
- Child is assessed by a physiotherapist or occupational therapist
- Where the child will not benefit from services at Paolo’s Home referrals are done
- All caregivers benefiting from services at the centre contribute a fee on annual basis
- Children admitted in daycare pay a monthly contribution fee
At Paolo’s Home, we utilize a combination of approaches in our process of rehabilitation. These include:
- Physiotherapy and Occupational Therapy
- Home visits and outreach
- Daycare Services
- Medical Support